Friday, September 23

The imago incident


^^  Another challenge here from Rachel's Platform Building Campaign.


Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:
  • include the word "imago" in the title
  • include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.
For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!

I think I was able to hit everything, and use the words properly.  Hope you enjoy.


"There's a what?"


"A lacuna... And you call yourself a writer..."


I glared at him, "What are you talking about?"


Watching him roll his eyes, he continued, "Lacuna... Your book has a gap.. Huge, gaping hole in the storyline.  You had that great and amazing miasma... Then the the story just... Oscitated open and everything fell into this hole."


Sitting down, I rested my head in my hands.  He had to be doing this on purpose, just to get at me.  Yes, he's a friend and yes, he has the connections needed to help in getting my manuscript into the right publisher... But he was also arrogant and enjoyed showing off to people.  Based on the words, I could easily guess that 'Oscaitate', meant some kind of hole. Miasma could only be talking about the huge foreboding my main character had had about the assassination.


"It wasn't a hole, it was synchronicity.  Did you like, stop reading it there?  Did you miss the mirror image scene where everything changed?"


It was hard to hide the smile.  He hadn't finished the story and really hadn't been prepared for me to use that word on him.  I had finally managed a victory.




This isn't from anything and is pretty much, just a random blurb... It's what came to mind.


I'm number 63 on the Linky List.

22 comments:

  1. This is what we all feel like sometimes, isn't it? Just a couple suggestions you might want to change. The font is really small and I had a hard time reading it. Also, in the sentence "He had to be doing.." You write "haed" just wanted to let you know so that you could fix it for other visitors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @J.A. Thank you. Fixed the little oops, I spaced on editing it like I normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. True or not, I suspect we all know someone it could be based on. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol I like the idea! That character is perfect for the words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have "friends" like this from time to time! Great job working the words in as part of the storyline.
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely going to "like" this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Not an easy one this challenge, but you gave it a great shot! Fun read. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job, true or not, it's always hard to hear when someone doesn't like your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good take on the words. I, too, think we all have a friend like this in our lives, but it helps to get us where we need to be. Enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your piece really rang true for me. You touched on something we can all relate to. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We def have friends like that. Good way to use those DREADED words! Lol! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the ending! *grin* Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all. Later on as I was reading the story to a friend, I realized just who it was I knew that is like that. I'm glad you all enjoyed it and I've been reading up and voting on others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. definitely something we all fear...love the ending! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now how about that. A critique take on the challenge. Nice one. I'm really impressed with the versatility of this challenge. I love small victories.

    Great job, KCarey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. (Grin) That's creative all right. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad she nabbed him! Nice use of the words. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome take on the challenge. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see she got her own back at the end and really good character portrayal for him, i could really believe he wouldn't have read to the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You wrote my mind! Good job! I'm voting for you now. I'm 125.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very cool. Do you ever visit Lisa Falzon's http://micro-fiction.blogspot.com/ - she has a 50 word thing over there which can be a great read

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice piece. I love small victories...lol. Perhaps I am petty but they are the only ones I win...lol. I hate the nagging fear that one of your pieces is missing a crucial part. Although, I guess it is best to find out before you send it in.:)

    #189

    ReplyDelete