Friday, April 10

Review: Finn Fancy Necromancy by Randy Henderson

Finn Fancy Necromancy by Randy Henderson


So, I picked this book up at random on Audible. No lie, I had no idea what I was getting in to when I started it. Boy, was it one of the best books I've ever picked up.

The basics, so I don't ACTUALLY give anything away, are simple... Finn's been in a magical type prison for 25 years, from 1986-2011, for a crime he didn't commit. Not even at the moment of his return, but before, he is besieged from all sides by an enemy he can't see and thrown into the middle of a battle he doesn't understand.

But, Finn manages to handle it all with an amazing strength that betrays his own understanding of himself. Sure, he makes mistakes, but then... Someone who was 15 in living, 20 in mind and 40 in body has a lot of catching up to do, starting with Star Trek 4 and finishing with a surprise twist that made this reader/listener more then a little happy.

As Mr. Henderson's debut novel, I have to say I'm stoked to see what more he has to give us.  The only negative, was that I figured out one of the big surprises about 2-12 chapters before Finn did. [I leave such a gap, because while I guessed it early on, but didn't know for sure until just before he did.]

I'm also thrilled to FINALLY see someone give magic users the ability to use science. You have no idea how much I love the idea of working them together. Sure, I also adore all the books that have them not able too, but... As a writer myself, I've never seen them as anything but two sides of the same whole.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Kristy C

No comments:

Post a Comment