Tuesday, September 16

Review... Only Lovers Left Alive

You most likely haven't heard of this movie.  I only did while I was surfing Redbox for movies of interest.

Only Lovers Left Alive stars Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton.

I'm new to the enjoyment of Tom's movies, outside of his being Loki.  This is in part because his fans are rabid twits who manage to ruin who he is, but also because I dislike the character of Loki so much.

But after some searching I stumbled upon a few scenes of him being something so much better and changed how I looked at him.  Now, he's one of my top English actors [Tom and Aidan Turner top the bill currently.]

Tilda's an actress I haven't watched too much of.  I think that's mostly because she tends to play weird parts in weird movies.  At least beyond the Narnia movie.

I'm writing this as I watch, so it'll be a little different and weird for a review, I'm sure.

Tom's character is kinda silly at times, a depressed, reclusive musician who buys lots of guitars and as he plays them, knows not just their name, but also their sex and history... In a way only a really good, reclusive and eccentric musician could.

You can tell this is a more indie film in its stranger styling, cinematography and music.  But I think that's how you can tell an actor's skill, in the weirder movies they make outside the hollywood norm.

Eve's [Tilda] fascination with books is something I adore.  I'd almost say that when you're that old, you're best at picking up an odd habit or addiction.  Beyond the whole, drinking blood thing.

Which, btw, I love how they show.  These are vampires that don't kill.  But they're still battling the struggle with it.  Blood attracts them like nothing else.  They see it and know its there.  And Adam [Tom] and Eve fight to look away and see it as no longer there.

Adam gives us a tour of Detroit that makes me want to visit.

The dialogue is surpurp.  While a little formal, it makes sense when you realize that you're dealing with being who are a couple hundred, or longer, years old.  It all makes the silliness of it great, and the seriousness of it stand out.  Best yet, it feels real.

Just the same, the film isn't afraid of silence, or movement to speak for the actors.

Any more about it, gives away the pieces of the story.

Warning, this isn't going to be for everyone.  Its plot and action are subtle and unless you're prepared for an art film, you may feel like you're wasting your time.

If you're looking for something to make you think a bit and take your mind off the world, this is a good 4 out of 5 stars film.

Kristy C

No comments:

Post a Comment