Monday, September 5

200 Word Challenge

I decided, while I kinda doubt this'll be updated all that often. ANYWHO!!

As you know, I'm participating in the Third Writers' Platform-Building Campaign. Our first of 3 challenges is:

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)For those who want an even greater challenge, make your story 200 words EXACTLY!

Well, being me.. I really wanted to do all three, as so many others that I've checked out from my group(s) cohorts. And so... Here it is, something kinda personal...
The door swung open and the desk lay bare. It gave off a feeling of being dormant, lifeless. This room had once held so much promise and joy... Now, it held nothing but lost dreams.



I moved toward that desk, the one I'd leaned over for years and tried to remember that exhilaration I used to when I'd write. The love of the characters and the story, but it was gone... Dead, like so many of my dreams. 

A small smile crosses my lips as I think of all the agony I'd once put into the simple act of writing. Foolishness... Man wasn't meant to dream. Dreams are just fantasy's. Reality is so very different. You can't control the pain of life, not real pain. You can't solve the problems it offers. 

I look again at the desk and see it's not as empty as I'd once thought. A lone piece of paper lays there, covered in dust. A few simple words reflect in my eyes. 

'Remember, To Lose Your Dreams, Is To Lose Yourself.' 


Somehow, despite it all... My mind springs to life and I sit down, digging for something to write on... 


Behind me, the door swung shut. 

And there you have it. Starts and Ends how the challenge asked and then hit it at EXACTLY 200 words.

^^ Now, off to post it to the challenge Linky. WHEEE!!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. I can relate. I've been there many, many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Storytreasury
    Yeah... It's been something I've battled since I finished NANO last year, and life started to take a hard turn at home. I'm hoping to actually get that return in my head... MB some Flash Fictions will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked your story -- something we all can relate to at times. Your ending was very clever.

    Patricia T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the writers nightmare. I think it happens to all of us. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya, girl. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. I hope you haven't really given up and the fact that you did this indicates you haven't. mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...ah, to be submerged in self-doubt... been there, and you described it very well.

    ...and hey, you just wrote a 200 word flash fiction! ...so you're not dead yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to crawl through the screen and hug you. Such a moving piece that we can all relate to at some point or another. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great story, especially since I can absolutely relate to the self-doubt. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOw, I was there just a few weeks ago and I joined the Campaign to get jump started again! I can definitely relate. My challenge is a poem I wrote about what I've been going through and what I hope for as I walk through the new door reality has pushed me through.

    'Remember, To Lose Your Dreams, Is To Lose Yourself.' <== Yes, this exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you summed up the roller coaster ride of life perfectly. To be able to communicate in words to the world this easily, was only a dream not very long ago. Who knows what will be next, stay excited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was just perfect!! I have so been there:(

    http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I read this early so I could vote! You must have slipped under my radar!

    ReplyDelete