Monday, September 8

Busy Lazy Person

Sounds a bit like an oxymoron, but I think its what I am.

Here's how my days tend to go...

Week 1, perhaps leave the house once or twice.  I get up, take my morning pills, eat, feed the cat [often in reverse order], take my shower, get dressed and sit in my living room at the laptop.  Sometimes I write, sometimes I play games, sometimes I read.  If I'm lucky, I go out on Friday's to game with my Pathfinder Society group.  I also promote my etsy shop, and in general hang out.  I may visit a friend who's carless and sometimes needs rides.  Luckily, she's one of my best friends and I don't mind all that much.

Week 2, a repeat of week 1.

Week 3, appointments seemingly all week.  Grocery shopping, errands, meetings and perhaps even a show.  Some days I'll leave about 9am, and not get home until after 10pm.

Week 4, spent at home, but making jewelry and taking photos of said jewelry.  There's tagging and pricing and sometimes even listing of those pieces online.  After the photos are taken, I have to edit them and then name them to make it easier to find later on.  I may be home and at the computer all day, but I'm busy at the computer.

Week 5, 2-4 days in a row of being gone, all day.  And not just for simple things either.  Setting up and tearing down my booth, talking with customers, being outside in the sun [and forgetting sunscreen].  Driving 30min or more to my show... In general, not at home and on the run all day.

All of those things happen to me.  And that first weeks comment of up, shower, eat, morning pills and feed the cat?  That's every week.  I ONLY get out of feeding the cat on the weekends, when my dad takes care of it.

I think of myself as lazy, most likely because I dislike exercise and don't like cleaning up [I take out trash, nothing smells and there's no bugs.  But its a mess otherwise].  So those are the worlds definitions of 'lazy'.

But, I'm often super busy... Even when I'm at home all the time.  Yes, I have weeks where I'm not doing much of anything.  But most often, weeks 3, 4 and 5 are mixed up around weeks 1 and 2.  In fact, weeks 1 and 2 tend to be after a week 5, when I need a break from everything.  Worse, week 4 activities are often done instead, because here's the catch of being self employed... If you don't do it, it won't get done.

Several years ago, I watched the Dean Martin roast... Frank Sinatra looked at one of his best friends and commented that he likes to play the lazy drunk.  But he's almost never drunk, and in fact.. He's one of the busiest men in Hollywood.

I realized, that was me.  Calling myself lazy, while tending to be busy more days than I'm not.

This is actually why labels don't work.  A person can in fact be more than one label at a time.  I'm a shy person.  I dislike large crowds and make friends slowly.  But get me around those friends, and I blossom.  Put me at a booth or behind the counter, and large crowds don't bother me.  I'm at work and I'm bold, feel safe and have no issues.

Neither label is wrong, but neither is the whole picture.

So, from a busy lazy person, I hope you start looking at labels a little differently.

Kristy C

No comments:

Post a Comment