Sunday, August 24

Who Am I... A Geek

So, today we'll look at 'Who I Am as a geek'.

It came to me finally, as I've been watching Doctor Who a bit more.

Honestly, I can't remember a time when Science Fiction and Fantasy wasn't apart of my life.  Growing up, we watched Star Trek: The Next Generation and the Star Trek movies.  On VHS Tape I have the old Hobbit Cartoon, and the amazing Lord of the Rings one that's got live action and animation.  The Last Unicorn, The Flight of Dragons and so many others.

I can't remember how old I was, I think about 13 or 14, when I found one of my favorite authors... David Eddings.

The Diamond Throne... It fascinated me and inspired me, I had to read more by him.

From Eddings, I picked up Terry Brooks and a few others, even Robert Jordan.  Never finished the Shannara Series.  Stopped when they went to the Air Ships.  Nothing against Brooks, but the series seemed to repeat.  I also enjoyed the Magic Landover stories.  I also stopped the Wheel of Time books at book 9.  It wasn't bad, just got tired of it after a little bit.

Later on I got into some scifi books, mostly Star Wars.  Young Jedi Academy books and the X-Wing ones are the best, to me.

I've written Fan Fiction for a few Anime's and Video Games, before I abandoned that for more 'serious' writing.

After a few years, I lost interest in anime and manga's.  Oddly, I'd like to still read them, but I don't have a lot of desire to actually sit down and read them.

I also got into comics, but they're damn expensive and keep changing storylines all the time.  So now, I just go about reading what's happened in comics and acting like I know lots more than I do.  ^^  Rather fun.

Over the years I've watched plenty of great SciFi shows, Babylon 5, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica [the original one], and others.  I've also watched some ok things, Buffy, Angel and Charmed.

Almost 3 years ago I started to play a game called Pathfinder.  Loved it really.  Its opened a new door to my geekiness.

There are plenty of books out there I've not read that I've been told I should read, and more than I wish I could read.

Took me all day to write this post.  Not sure why, except that Doctor Who was distracting me.

There's a lot more to write about me as a geek, more than can be contained in one blog.

Kristy C

No comments:

Post a Comment